Here are a few facts I know about this American hero in my family:
- Born in or around 1758 in Germany
- Enlisted in the American Revolutionary War as a private in 1776 and was a musician in the 9th North Carolina Regiment (discharged in 1780)
- Was in the Battle of Germantown and stationed in winter quarters at Valley Forge under General George Washington
- Married Elizabeth Giddens in 1798 in Wilkes Co., North Carolina
- Died August 1838 in Claiborne Co., Tennessee
My connection: Martin L. Miller -> David Miller (1821-1890) -> Dr. George P. Miller (1857-1926) -> Bernard Carr Miller (1889-1974) -> my grandfather -> my father -> me.
It's likely given the time period he may have immigrated here in, that he arrived in Philadelphia. But, that route hasn't led me to anything yet. He probably came as a child and not knowing his father has proven challenging. Will keep thinking out of the box on this one!
Zella Armstrong, Some Tennessee Heroes of the Revolution. (Reprint. Originally published in 5 pamphlets: Chattanooga, Tenn. : Lookout Pub. Co., 1933-1944.), p. 22
Tennessee Valley Cemetery Relocation Files, 1933-1990 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.